WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is a semi-permanent brow tattoo that is performed with a small handheld tool, using a feather stroke technique to produce the appearance of natural, fuller eyebrows or to enhance the natural features of the face. Microblading is a softer and more subtle alternative to the older cosmetic tattoo styles.
HOW LONG IS THE APPOINTMENT?
Two hours on average. During your appointment we will consult with you to ensure we are on the same page. Much of the time is spent measuring and drawing on a symmetrical set of brows and agreeing on your perfect shape and color. The actual procedure itself takes 45min to an hour. The touch-up appointment will take about an hour.
IS THE FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT INCLUDED?
In order to ensure that the brows heal perfectly a minimum of two treatments are usually needed 6-8 weeks apart on average. This first touch-up is included as it gives us the ability to correct any areas that possibly faded or allows the client to make suggestions if they want adjustments with the shape or color.
HOW LONG DOES MICROBLADING LAST?
The treatment is considered semi-permanent and will fade over time. Touch-ups are recommended every 1-2 years to maintain shape, color, and detail. How often depends on a number of factors including:
– Skin type (oily skin fades faster)
– Pigment color used (lighter colors fade faster)
– Sun exposure (over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment)
– Use of daily anti-aging products e.g.- (Tretinoin (Retin-A) & Alpha Hydroxy). These products increase your cell turnover rate and will shorten the life of your cosmetic tattoo
DOES IT HURT?
We do all that we can to ensure that the process is as comfortable as possible. Before the Microblading begins, a topical anesthetic is applied to the area to minimize discomfort. Some clients may feel a slight discomfort, but it’s relatively pain free for most.
(PLEASE NOTE that if you are a frequent smoker, or have your appointment during your menstrual cycle, the pain level could be intensified.)
CAN I EXERCISE AFTER GETTING MICROBLADING?
You must avoid working out for 7 days following your microblading appointment. Light exercising is allowed (minimal sweating), but you must clean the tattooed area with lukewarm water as soon as you are done exercising. The salt in sweat will fade the pigment very quickly and give poor results.
CAN I GET TATTOOED IF I AM PREGNANT?
As a precaution to avoid any complications, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant women.
PRODUCTS AND EQUIPMENT
To ensure the highest quality of safety, all rules and regulations of Safety and Sanitation are followed. all of our tools are one time use only and Any product used during the procedure are disposed of as biohazardous waste after each appointment, giving each client peace of mind.
Microblading at Reflections Medspa is performed with only the highest quality products available on the market and is why at Reflections we work exclusively with Tina Davies Professional for our grade A pigments that are safe, long lasting, and true to color.
WHAT SHOULD I DO BEFORE MY EYEBROW PROCEDURE?
If you have an ideal shape and color in mind, bring a few reference photos with you to your consultation.
You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 5 days before your appointment.
If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you must wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
You must stop using Retinol 2 weeks prior to your appointment and avoid using it for the 2 weeks following your appointment.
If you get Botox regularly please get that done no later than 2 weeks before your appointment. This is to ensure we can make your brows as symmetrical as possible.
Avoid chemical peels at least 4 weeks prior to your appointment.
Avoid direct sun exposure and tanning for 2 weeks before and after your procedure. Do not come to your appointment with a sunburn. In this case, email us at least 48 hours prior to your appointment to reschedule.
Avoid alcohol, caffeine, ibuprofen, fish oil, vitamin E, or any blood thinning medication 24 hours prior to your appointment.
If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 10 days after the procedure due to the aftercare maintenance.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Immediately following your procedure, the tattooed area will appear to be darker and bolder in color and more sharply defined. This will last 3-4 days. Do not panic! It is normal.
Swelling and redness is minimal with most clients, and will disappear within 24-48 hours. In some cases, it may last around the eyebrow area for up to 3 days, but will not prevent working or socializing. The treated area may feel a bit like a sunburn afterwards but there should only be minimal discomfort.
The complete healing process takes about 6-8 weeks, at which time the true color of the tattoo is evident. During this process, your tattoo will soften and lighten. Be patient, even if you think too much color has been lost, as your skin is still regenerating and naturally exfoliating. Wait at least 6 weeks to see the true color, as it seems to take on new strength, and it is only after 6 weeks that your touch-up/adjustment can be done. Keep in mind that microbladed brows healed up to 30% softer than the initial color.
Please note that final results cannot be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. The tattooed hair strokes tend to have a crisper look once healed on dry skin compared to more blurry strokes on oily skin. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your touch-up appointment and make any changes necessary.
Healed results will vary with each individual client and using a pencil or powder may still be needed. Additional sessions (charged accordingly) may be required to obtain optimal results.
– Wash your hands thoroughly before touching the tattooed area.
– Week 1: Keep the tattooed area clean by rinsing with lukewarm water and patting dry with a disposable paper towel 3 times a day, you may then apply thin layer of any approved after care cream. Apply using a disposable cotton swab.
– Week 2: Keep cleaning them with lukewarm water twice a day for the second week, no ointment.
– You may shower or bathe normally, but avoid using any soaps or cleansers on the treated area for the first week as they can be detrimental to the bonding process that must take place for the pigment to stabilize in the dermis.
– Do NOT pick or scratch at the dry skin/flakiness; let the skin fall off naturally. Picking can cause scarring and premature loss of pigment. IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It will appear as though the eyebrows are gone. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
– You must avoid working out for 1 week following your appointment. Light exercising is allowed (minimal sweating), but you MUST clean the tattooed area with lukewarm water as soon as you are done exercising. The salt in the sweat will fade the pigment very quickly and give poor results.
– Avoid direct sun exposure for the first 14 days. You MUST wear a hat while outside during the healing process.
– Do NOT apply make-up to the tattooed area for the first 2 weeks. Chemicals of any kind may interfere with the healing and color of your tattoo.
– No swimming pools, jacuzzis or other bodies of water for two weeks.
– Do NOT soak your face underwater in a bathtub or allow the shower to spray directly in your face for two weeks.
– Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment. Once completely healed, you may apply sunscreen on the treated area. Wear large sunglasses and a hat for further protection. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly when in contact with chlorine.
– Glycolic Acid, Retin-A, face peels and exfoliation must be kept away from the tattooed area as continued use could lighten the pigment.
– If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your tattoo has healed, please inform the laser technician. Laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.